The Good

Top marks to ATS for the frame. It really is probably one of the best features of the trailer itself. Heavy beams, good cross section components, all heavy steel. None of it was bent or heavily corroded and it appeared they had put on a coat of paint in the past year or so.

The bearings have been recently completely rebuilt or replaced. We pulled the grease caps and there was brand new grease over top of what appeared to be brand new bearings.

The roof had been coated in several layers of elastomeric recently, with rubber tape on all of the seams as well. None of the ceiling was badly water damaged so it didn’t appear that it had been leaking inside, or if it is, for very long before it was coated.

Copper wiring. Thankfully it isn’t that aluminum crap or it would all have to be cut off and blanked off at the wall before running new wire under the frame.

Oh, and the AC works!

The Bad

It stinks. The inside has an odd aroma, though not quite terrible, it is a bit stifling. Most likely caused by the water damage (see The Ugly).

The tires are pretty old and mismatched. Though they survived the trip home (whew!) they are not going to be good for when we have all of that work in it and are planning to get it to its later home site, so those need to be replaced.

The interior is pretty dated. Mirrored cabinet fronts. Man, that is so 90’s now that I think about it. Wood paneling throughout. Carpet. I hate carpet. Ugly fixtures. The list of interior decorating issues just goes on, but all  of that can either be replaced or simply painted.

The Ugly

Now the bad parts. Water damage in the kitchen, and water damage in the living area. The kitchen didn’t initially appear that bad. It looked like the sink may have leaked and done some damage to the counter top and some of the surrounding floor.

In reality it was much, much worse. They had covered up the original floor (vinyl and all) with another floor and laid carpet over that. Then used whopping 1 1/4″ screws that barely go through the flooring, let alone into the next (rotted) subfloor pieces, so in reality those boards were just floating. The whole front section of flooring is rotten and unstable, the water heater had a hose clamp on where a pex fitting was supposed to be (ding ding ding! we found the cause) and leaked bad enough to need the whole area to be redone, but instead of fixing the leak, they just put a hose clamp on it to slow it down and allow the water to seep into the subfloor longer and spread the damage.

The second leak is by the couch in the living area. The window was apparently leaking there and instead of pulling the window and re-sealing it, they just adding some caulk and called it a day. The wood around the window frame is almost entirely gone and will need to have most of the wall studs replaced as a result. Oh well, at least it is doable. It just means replacing a bit more than we originally thought.

 

Categories: Bert the Camper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Bert the Camper

Bert, Days 4-8 – “A Few Dollars More”

I really should have started the Bert posts off with “A Fistful of Dollars” and had a good theme of westerns going. This whole project was supposed to be a simple project with just some rebuilding Read more…

Bert the Camper

Bert, Days 2 & 3 – “A Fistful of Dollars”

Day 2 Well, the initial shock is over after finding so much water damage. I spent a couple hours in the evenings finding all of the ‘bad spots’ and trying to mark them for future Read more…

Bert the Camper

Meet Bert

Over the past year (maybe two) we have been discussing building a ‘tiny house’  and moving to the farm to live in order to cut our expenses and be able to finally start saving more Read more…